Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Creativity and laziness

I seem to be starting out here by posting favorite quotes that have been inhabiting my personal spaces for some time. Here's one from Jungian psychoanalyst Marie-Louise Von Franz, which I reread periodically to remind myself of the importance of creative expression to one's well-being:
One of the most wicked destructive forces, psychologically speaking, is unused creative power...  If someone has a creative gift and out of laziness, or for some other reason, doesn't use it, the psychic energy turns to pure poison. That's why we often diagnose neuroses and psychotic diseases as not-lived higher possibilities.
One of my ongoing goals is spend more time in creative activities. What I have to remember, though, is that creative expression can take many, many different forms. So whether it's cooking or singing or writing emails or dancing or rearranging the furniture (or working on this blog!)... all these activities engage the mind and nurture the spirit.